In the summer my skin behaves very differently than it does in the winter. The heat and humidity, combined with a lot more time spent outdoors, can quickly lead to clogged pores, bumps and blotchiness. Does yours do the same, too?
I checked in with Patricia, our resident natural skin care expert, who gives amazing facials at our spa in Palisades, NY, for some tips on how to keep skin healthy, balanced and beautiful all summer long. Here are some of her suggestions:
1. To help keep blackheads at bay, avoid touching your face and wipe down your cell phone occasionally. Pressing it up against your cheek regularly can easily lead to clogged pores.
2. For a skin brightening effect, combine 1 part Almond Cleansing Lotion with 1 part Iris Cleansing Lotion Classic to make a mask. Leave on for five or 10 minutes. The Almond Cleansing Lotion has lactic acid, which is hydrating and will help to gently lighten skin, while the Iris Cleansing Lotion Classic will make your skin feel clean, refreshed and cool after a long hot day.
3. Add a dab of Wild Rose Toner to your Wild Rose Moisture Cream before applying. The witch hazel will help tighten and purify pores. Using moisturizers made with natural plant-based oils instead of petroleum-derived ingredients will also help keep skin breathing, balanced and healthy.
4. To create a refreshing antioxidant-rich and lovely smelling facial mist, mix 1 part distilled water with 1 part Wild Rose Facial Toner in a little spray bottle. A spritz or two will add a glow to parched skin or spray on the back of your neck for cool refreshment.
5. Shower soon after swimming in the ocean or taking a dip in the pool. Salt and chlorine can dry out your skin. Use our Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash or Citrus Creamy Body Wash to refresh and moisturize your skin—and your senses!
6. This is a tip we give to our clients at our spa. To prevent dry and cracked heels this summer, use Birch Body Scrub in the shower—morning or night—on your feet. In the morning, follow the scrub with Foot Balm, massaging it into your feet. In the evening, follow the scrub with Skin Food and then put on a pair of socks to increase the absorption. Your feet will be so smooth if you do this routine regularly. It really works!
7. For serious post-sun skin replenishment, mix Sea Buckthorn Body Oil and Sea Buckthorn Body Lotion and apply immediately after getting out of the shower. The more hydrated your skin, the better it will look, tan or no tan!
8. Drink plenty of water and nourish your skin from the inside out with fresh organic fruits and veggies.
Now it’s your turn! What are some of the ways you keep your skin healthy naturally during the summer? Share your tips with us here!