Some of my favorite Weleda products for summer are our Sea Buckthorn Body Oil, Hand Cream, Body Lotion and Creamy Body Wash. Here are eight reasons why I love sea buckthorn and hope you will, too!
1. It’s a super superfruit. Sea buckthorn is scientifically reputed to contain a rich cocktail of antioxidants and health benefits. Its golden-red pulp and seed oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, and pro-vitamin A and vitamin E. The juice contains among the highest amounts of vitamin C of any fruit or vegetable, including oranges and lemons!
2. It’s Biodynamic®. The sea buckthorn we use is grown in Tuscany by a farmer, Kurt Kunzi (pictured, right), who we call The Sea Buckthorn King. He is the first farmer to cultivate sea buckthorn biodynamically, which means he fosters this majestic plant through a holistic treatment of his farm—no pesticides or chemical fertilizers allowed!
3. It helps repair sun damage. Sea buckthorn is a sun-loving fruit that helps keep your sun-loving self from suffering sun damage. The nutrient-rich composition of the kernel oil and juice helps protect the skin from UV radiation and free-radical damage associated with signs of aging, making it ideal for use after a day on the beach or by the pool.
4. Our breeds are the best. We use two different varieties of sea buckthorn: Gala 1 and Gala 7. Gala 1 is used to obtain the juice from the berries because of its high level of vitamin C. “3.5 ounces of sea buckthorn juice obtained from Gala 1 contains about 600 milligrams of vitamin C—more than orange or lemon juice,” says Sea Buckthorn King Kunzi. “Gala 7 provides the best quality pulp and kernel oil and is best suited for
obtaining sea buckthorn oil for skin care. The kernels are tiny; a ton of berries yields about 2.5 gallons of the valuable oil.”
5. The fragrance is delectable—and all-natural. Our Sea Buckthorn Body Oil, Lotion, Hand Cream and Creamy Body Wash saturate your body in the aroma of sun-drenched essential oils from mandarins, oranges and grapefruits—perfect for summertime. Like all Weleda fragrances, the scent is naturally derived from the purest plant essential oils--no phthalates or petrochemicals here!
6. It loves you back. In addition to all the vitamins it contains, sea buckthorn berries possess antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and the easily absorbed oils support the healthy maintenance of the skin’s lipid layers for smooth, beautiful skin.
7. It makes every day a sunny day. The scent of citrus is a proven mood-booster. Take a power shower with our Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash in the morning and apply our Sea Buckthorn Hand Cream throughout the day whenever you need a pick-me-up. We see you smiling.
8. Our Facebook fans love it, too. If you love our sea buckthorn products, you’re in good company. Here’s some of the feedback we’ve received from fans on our Facebook wall: “The Sea Buckthorn Body Lotion is amazing. I've never had skin so smooth,” said Dominique Hecker. “Received a sample of your Sea Buckthorn Body Oil in the mail 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it,” said Casey Brown. We’d love to hear your thoughts, too! (Visit us on http://www.facebook.com/weleda and leave your comments, or share your thoughts in the comment section below.)